The Kingston and Pembroke Railway built a station here in 1875. The station was later shared with the Bay of Quinte Railway which built a line from Yarker to Harrowsmith to gain access to Kingston via the K&P. For most of the 20th century, the Harrowsmith station served the K&P and BoQ's successor railways CP and CN, with both companies abandoning their lines through the village in 1985 (CN) and 1986 (CP). The station building itself was relocated away from the tracks sometime before that, and survived on a nearby storage company lot until the early 2000s.
The former railway right-of-way through Harrowsmith is now part of the Cataraqui Trail, passing over Harrowsmith Road on a 1965-built former CN railway overpass as it enters the village from the east. Remains of the asphalt station platform are still visible where the trail crosses Wilton Street, as are the bases for the old railway crossing signals.