Many ghost town hunters will agree that Cooper's Falls is one of Ontario's best locations. (For more info. on it and its founder, Thomas Cooper, read the other location under Ramara). Thomas' story is one of true danger and adventure. His family emigrated from Fawkham, Kent, England.
The Cooper influence stretched southward when another post office community opened up west of the junction of the road that is now called Hwy 169 and Switch Rd. It's located on modern maps today just north of the Black River where the school and fire station sit. This is also the southern extent of the Canadian Shield. Welcome to cottage country!!
Fawkham was a strategic location for the Longford Lumber Company as they cut timber in the area from here northward to Cooper's Falls and Ragged Rapids. The company would send timber down the Black and Head Rivers to be cut on the west shore of Lake St. John at Longford Mills. A channel was dredged from the Black River to Lake St. John SW from property owned by I.S. Wardle. Wardle opened the Fawkham Post Office here and he also ran a sawmill on the property. This channel can still be seen to this day.
After the opening of the post office the railroad came through the area and a train station was opened well west on Switch Rd.
In 1911 the last postmaster/grocer in Fawkham was a Mr. John Weir. Rural route delivery would become the norm afterwards.
To the south of the Black River on Concession Rd. 3 sits the old church and cemetery where the pioneers were all buried. It's called the Black River Roman Catholic (St. Joseph's R.C.).
To see the channel, post office, school and sawmill's former locations go to the Rama Township Atlas map dated from the late 1800's here: http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/images/maps/townshipmaps/ont-m-Rama.jpg
The old school sat where the fire station is today- just north of the more modern public school. This was once the McQuaig property.
Originally, Fawkham was part of Rama Township. Rama's municipal office was located here. In 1993, Rama and Mara Townships merged into one to become Ramara Township.
For a history go here: http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=1037942 then go to page 231..