An obscure single-family pioneer burial located on the original property of Nicholus Willig. Although on private property, the area can be accessed by a non-sensitive route via the old Detenbeck Road allowance immediately to the south.
In 1828, Nicholus Willig, his wife Anna Marie (nee Girodat, born 1777), and their four children settled on this land (originally known as Lot 11 Concession 3, Willoughby Township). They came from Koestlach, France, in the Upper Alsace (Haut Rein) region. Shortly after the family's arrival in Canada, Nicholus died (July 16, 1831) and was the first to be buried here. A copy of the original will shows that the two sons Johann and Nicholus were to share the responsibility of giving their mother Anne Marie a home. In return, Johann and Nicholus were each willed 25 acres of land. Anne Marie died in 1852 and was one of the early burials in St. Joseph's cemetery, New Germany (present day Snyder, Ontario). The name "Willig" gradually change to Willick to conform to the English language spoken in this region of Canada.
(more details provided in the gallery....)