Ernestown railroad station was built for the Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada. Its cornerstone was laid in 1855
Ernestown station sits on the north side of two sets of still-active tracks, just west of Lennox and Addington County Road #4, near a little sideroad called Link Road.
It has been suggested that political factors were the reason the Ernestown station was preferred over more populated areas like Bath to the east. Unlike Bath, there was no real community in Ernestown.
After the station was built, a community developed. At the same time, Bath, without a station, declined. Today, with the station abandoned, there are only residences left near the station and no real community
The design of the station was used in about 34 different stations in Ontario in 1855-56, as well as several in the United States. Only the stone station has survived; there is no sign of the a freight shed, loading platform wood shed, dwelling house, and barn which once graced the property.
The building is dwarfed today by its surroundings: two active tracks nearby, the road overpass to the east and trees and bushes that obscure the east side and the rear.
In 1992, the site was designated by the Canadian government as a Heritage Railway Station.
For more information please visit: