Ontario Abandoned Places

An online community for urban explorers
Location Database
Database
Talking Walls Photography
Talking Walls
Photography
Forum
Forum
Search Locations
Search

User Search



Derry West Pioneer Cemetery

Located in: Mississauga
Location #11028
Public

To request this location be removed, submit a Report Location form.

Location Owner:mobileworks
Creation Date: 9/5/2014
Last Updated: 9/5/2014



Description

This pioneer cemetery is the only remnant of the Hamlet, Derry West. This is one of the earliest cemeteries in Mississauga and is maintain by the city. There was an Anglican church here from 1829 to 1867 when a fire destroyed it and the town. It is said that the first burials were in the 1830's but no trace of them are found. The last known burial was Mary J. Graham in 1936. About 70 plots are suppose to be still vacant for family but because of poor records this cemetery was closed in 1936. At that time it was bordered by elm, maple and ironwood trees as well as a barbed wire fence. It then became a pasture and a dump for a nearby gas station. Because of this and missing headstones, there are some buried here that will never be known. Hugh Graham, Mr. Armstrong, and Mr. Aikens and the Scanlons were reported to be buried here and owned plots but cannot be confirmed. A historic plaque , which was not there[orange cone in place?] but found what it said anyways, .................................................................IT READ :................................................ Historic Plaque of Derry West 1829 - Derry West - 1973 This is the site of the original Hurontario Church (Anglican). In 1822, Joseph Carter received a Crown grant for 200 acres on Lot 11, Con 1 WHS, Tor. Twp. On this portion he built a small log church which opened July 27, 1829. The cornerstone was christened by whisky bought from the hotel across the road. Bishop Strachan said 'I heard that this church was begun in drunkenness and ribaldry' so he refused Carter Holy Orders. Carter, broken-hearted, sold the farm to Wm. Orr, reserving 1/2 acre on which the church sat, deeding it to the Church of England. In 1843 a mud brick building replaced the old church and opposite a small rough cast Presbyterian church was built. Derry West was named by George Graham to honour his forefathers who fought at Londonderry, Ireland. Derry West had the first Post Office in Peel Co. In 1826, No. 10 L.O.L. built their first hall west of the corner (origin of Derry West District Lodge). Beside the cemetery stood a small brick Armouries used at the time of the Fenian raids (1865). Taverns, a temperance hall, blacksmith, shoemaker and carpenter shop with horse sheds made up Derry West in 1857 with a population of 100. Through the years there have been 3 schools here. In 1867 Derry West was swept by fire; little remained and the small hamlet never regained the former prominence of those early years. Erected by the Derry West Women's Institute and Community...............................................................................FYI : A cropped headstone picture is usually followed by one that is difficult to read.



Abandoned houses may be dangerous! Read the LEGAL DISCLAIMER.
Always obtain permission before entering someone else's property.


Status:
Status: Closed
Category: Cemetery


Options:
View map
Geocaches
Who's Viewed
Create Photo Gallery
Edit Location

HAZARDS
None listed
We do not assume any responsibility for the accuracy of this information or for liability should you injure yourself.
Maps are only shown to logged in members. Google Maps is no longer free.



Forgotten Few
Derry West Pioneer Cemetery
Created on:9/5/2014
Created by: mobileworks
40 photos


There are no comments for this location.

Leave A Comment - Please do *NOT* ask how to gain entry or post means of entry.
Name:
Are you a human? Enter this number: 947


On 9/5/2014 2:09:27 PM user mobileworks changed the following: description
On 9/5/2014 2:07:44 PM user mobileworks changed the following: description
On 9/5/2014 1:58:02 PM user mobileworks changed the following: description
On 9/5/2014 1:57:04 PM user mobileworks changed the following: description
On 9/5/2014 1:26:49 PM user mobileworks uploaded photos : OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / to SID: 95201492815
On 9/5/2014 1:19:29 PM user mobileworks uploaded photos : OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / to SID: 95201492815
On 9/5/2014 1:06:19 PM user mobileworks uploaded photos : OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / to SID: 95201492815
On 9/5/2014 12:48:12 PM user mobileworks uploaded photos : OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / OAP Mississauga loc annej / to SID: 95201492815
On 9/5/2014 12:28:30 PM user mobileworks created gallery : Forgotten Few
On 9/5/2014 12:24:42 PM user mobileworks changed the following: location status, description