The Conference Centre is owned by the Government of Canada and is currently in abandoned status.
This historic structure was opened in 1912 by the Grand Trunk Railway which was originally called "The Union Station" and was built in tandem with the Chateau Laurier hotel located right across on Rideau Street. The Canadian Pacific and the Canadian National railways continued to use the Union Station right up until July 31, 1966.
The National Capital Commission wanted to demolish the building but the government then decided to make use of the facility for 1967 as part of Canada's 100th birthday celebrations. It became the government of Canada's "Conference Centre."
In 2011, the local news media identified this building as being abandoned for no specific use by the government. When Jean Chretien was Prime Minister (in his last term) he wanted to turn it into a museum. That idea got sandbagged when Paul Martin took over as Prime Minister. Other ideas that have been floated around are: use the building as part of proposed commuter rail systems which are expected to built in the near future. The Ottawa Convention Centre is also looking into ideas of utilizing the building with their new Convention Centre.