Because the companies' names are similar and because the plants were located next door to each other, many assumed the American Can and Canadian Canners were two branches of the same business. They certainly fed off each other, but the businesses were distinct entities
The Canadian Canners opened in the 1870s and also closed in 1991
In the early days, the cans were made by hand, and three or four hundred cans was considered a good day's work for a can-maker. In the year 1906, automatic can-making machinery was installed, and now the output is counted in millions. In the year 1920, the Simcoe Machine Shop was established, and many of the special machines used in the canning business, and which formerly were purchased in foreign countries, are now made in Simcoe. The Building has now half converted to storage for Bryers, and a small business in the front. Two floors and the back safe area have remained untouched for decades.