The Byng Inlet fire tower was erected by the village's Department of Lands and Forest's ranger station. It was erected in the 1950's but decomissioned by the late 1960s. Byng Inlet was a part of the former Parry Sound Forest Fire District, which included 20 other fire tower locations. Coincidentally, many of the ghost towns in the district were chosen as locations for fire towers. These included: Pakesley, Key Junction, Key Harbour, Bummers Roost, Pickerel, Ardbeg and Lost Channel. There were also towers quite close to the ghost towns of Dufferin Bridge, Moon River and Germania.
For more info and photos of Ontario's fire tower lookouts go to this link: http://ontarioftl.bravehost.com/