Ontario Abandoned Places
Located in: Blind RiverLocation #998 PublicTo request this location be removed, submit a Report Location form.
Location Owner:OAPCreation Date: 12/10/2009Last Updated: 12/10/2009
French voyageurs discovered a river in the Algoma District in which the mouth was not visible from along the canoe route. This river was named Blind River.Not long after the voyageurs arrived in the area so did the fur traders, loggers and miners. The settlement that developed at the mouth of the river adopted the name Blind River.A sawmill was built beside the mouth of the river where today's Old Mill Motel is located. In 1906 a second sawmill was constructed on the west arm of the Blind River.The Carpenter Hixon Company constructed a state-of-the-art sawmill in 1929. The sawmill produced 89 million board feet of lumber during the first year of operation.The lumber mill closed in 1969 due to economic conditions.
the old water tower is now gone