Ontario Abandoned Places
Photographs and stories from thousands of abandoned houses across Canada

Blind River Saw mill



Location #998
City: Blind River
Basic MemberPublic
Status: Unknown
user avatar
Created By:OAP
Creation Date: 12/10/2009
Last Updated: 12/10/2009
donateAdministratorFull MemberDonated TimeWebsiteGold Star
French voyageurs discovered a river in the Algoma District in which the mouth was not visible from along the canoe route. This river was named Blind River.

Not long after the voyageurs arrived in the area so did the fur traders, loggers and miners. The settlement that developed at the mouth of the river adopted the name Blind River.

A sawmill was built beside the mouth of the river where today's Old Mill Motel is located. In 1906 a second sawmill was constructed on the west arm of the Blind River.

The Carpenter Hixon Company constructed a state-of-the-art sawmill in 1929. The sawmill produced 89 million board feet of lumber during the first year of operation.

The lumber mill closed in 1969 due to economic conditions.

Photos of Blind River Saw mill


Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill
Blind River Saw mill



Address
Google Maps are only shown to logged in members.

GPS:

Comments
031987
031987 11/21/2011 11:12:37 PM

the old water tower is now gone


Alert iconTo request this location be removed, Click Here.