1953 - Discovered by B.W Burns of Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
All mining operations within the early years of 1950, we're commonly known for transforming the small settlement town of Bancroft, Ontario, Canada, when several uranium mines came into production. One of these fascinating operations became identified as the historical Bicroft Uranium Mine project, that was first discovered in 1952, by a prospector known as B.W Burns of Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. He would immediately sell this operation to two companies that became known as the Central Lake Uranium Mines Limited, and the Croft Uranium Mines Limited.
It was in 1953, when the historical Croft Uranium Mines, Limited was incorporated on September, 1953. The directors of the company at this were commonly known as R.A Bryce as president, Larmour Soliague as Vice President, H.W Salt house as Secretary Treasurer, J.D Bryce, A.H Crang, and E.D Scott as directors. All mining operations at the Croft Uranium Property were also started with a capitalization of 3,000,000 shares at $1 par value, in which 2,300,005 shares were issued.
The company within 1954. had also held a block of 51 claims which were situated on the east boundary of Cardiff Township, Haliburton County, and also in adjoining Faraday, and Herschel Townships, Hasting County, Ontario, Canada; Additionally the property is also located at a distance of 10 miles west of Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.
Development within 1954, had consisted of constructing an adit that was driven a mile south of Bancroft-Wilberforce Road. It was at this time when the adit was rather extensively developed by 1,211 feet of drifting, and 485 feet of crosscutting. Surface and underground explorations also continued when diamond drilling consisted of 70 surface holes, totalling 27,794 feet, and 93 underground holes totalling 3,053 feet from the aidt workings. All development work within 1954 was mainly also done by contractors who employed a total of 6 employees at this uranium project.
Soon enough the two companies had moved onto some of its own explorations that discovered a high-grade uranium deposit within this mining operation. As this discovery became uncovered, the two companies would decide to incorporate the Bicroft Uranium Mines Limited under its own amalgamation agreement in 1955. By 1955, the whole entire project was rather undergoing it's own prospecting stage when company officials from the Bicroft Uranium Mines Limited, had soon completed some surface cuts to expose the vein, an adit that was 53.4 m also became driven, and a 71.4 m prospect shaft was sunken. During the year of 1955, the company had soon discovered a large ore-body that contained high-grade uranium crystals within these prospect zone locations. In addition the company was well off with its prospecting business when it had sunken another shaft to about 562 m, and also proceeded with its own construction phase of its on-site milling facility. Soon enough the company's on-site milling facility would be officially in operation by 1957, when a huge amount of ore that totalled 414,024 tons which was hoisted Within this time period the company. and it team of miners would process and treat all of this ore that came from the Bicroft Uranium Mine. Another huge surface development would commence as the company now needed its very own Sorting plantation in order to collect all the fine uranium ore bearing material. This construction phase was also followed by a new development procedure, when the company construct its own Crushing Plant to grind the ore into smaller sizes, and had also erected a pump house to get rid of all the underground water.
More hoisting procedures continued to take place in 1958, when another huge amount of ore that totalled 472,709 tons was stockpiled. Even milling during this time was rather outrageous when it had processed and treated a whole whack of ore that totalled 464,680 tons of high-grade uranium content. A total of 429,917 tons was also broken down from the stopes, while another 417,917 tons was drawn from this uranium mining operation. Further so the company and its dedicated workforce had opened this operation even more when ore was being drawn down from 174 stopes in 1958. And the company had additionally completed construction phase of 96 stopes, while starting new production on 84 stope sections. More hoisting procedures would continue to take place in 1958, when another huge amount of ore that totalled 472,680 tons was stockpiled. Even milling during this time period was rather outrageous when it processed a whack of ore that totalled 464,680 tons of high grade uranium content.
Company officials from the Bicroft Uranium Mines Limited, had soon experience more issues in 1958. Much of this was cause due to a fire that had been purposely set by two employees. These to people were strongly identified as George Eickler, and his partner Ernest Mayo. Within this time period they we're rather working on the sixth level within the No.366 stope when they decided to built a fire to keep warm. As this occurred the smell of smoke had soon reach other workings that immediately sent T.H. Croft and T.M Middleton to their shift boss. At the time the main shift boss was strongly identified as A Chisholh who was employed by the Bicroft Uranium Mines Limited. He would immediately discharge the two men for causing unsafe negligence within the mine workings that could of been disastrous. These two men would end up using fuel to keep the fire going which was rather another safety concern for the company.
Far more production soon had escalated in 1959, when the company hoisted 471,321 tons from both shaft operations, and its single adit zone.. More so the company, and its team of workers would commence more production stages when a huge amount of ore that totalled 424,373 tons was milled. By this time the mining zone was even further expanding the mine when 389,496 tons was broken from the stopes, and another 402,998 tons was drawn from the mining operation. It soon became evident that the company had also taken this production from 168 stopes sections, and would also complete development phases on 103 stopes, while constructing a total of 87 new stopes.
Within 1960, the Bicroft Uranium Mines limited, would further develop this operation when both shaft operations became sunken to a depth of 234 feet, and the No. 2 shaft was additionally sunken from 119 feet to the mines 1433 foot section. The No.2 shaft was also opened up by 11 ore producing levels when the company opened up a new production level on the mines 1,350 foot section. Nevertheless this mining zone was commonly operated by two different properties as the company had work the Croft Property, and the Central Lake Property within the township of Cardiff, and Faraday, in Halliburton County, and Hasting County.
Almost all development within 1960 was also expanding this mining operation when a whole whack of lateral development became achieved during this time period of working the Bicroft Mine. Much of this lateral development soon consisted of 13,433 feet of drifting, 8,879 feet of crosscutting and 17,602 feet of raising procedures became completed. As mining operations started to expand this mining zone, the mine it self was now looking like a thriving operation when it had a total development footage of 56,644 feet of drifting, 46,130 feet of crosscutting, and 50,567 feet of raising that was done. Further so the company would additionally explore this mining zone when a huge amount of diamond drilling had taken place. This whole entire drilling program had driven 535 holes from the underground workings that ended up totalling 80,662 feet of core sampling. During this time period the operation would also obtain several tons of Uranium ore bearing material that soon had company officials hoisting 454,682 tons of uranium ore from all extractions. All milling operations within 1960, had also processed and treated a whack of ore that would end up totalling 404,682 tons of uranium ore from all productions. Soon enough the Bicroft Uranium Mines Limited had also engineered 143 new stopes, while completing extractions phase on 110 stopes, and, was also working a total of 213 stopes. It became very evident that the company , and its team of miners had also broken down a total of 352,191 tons of ore from the stopes, and a total of 370,946 tons was drawn from both property locations. Mining within the Bicroft uranium Mine was also slowly becoming exhausted above the fourth level on the 450 foot section. Soon enough company officials would also hoist a small amount of ore from the mines fifth, and sixth levels when 25% of the ore was hoisted from this production within 1960. As the operation continued to expand the company and its workforce had also confined it self to the mines seventh, and ninth levels that produce 25% of all the ore that was hoisted. More so company officials from the Bicroft Uranium Mines Limited , would also further construct the tenth level that was stationed and cut on the mines 1,200 foot section.
Crushing within 1960 was rather exceeding a huge amount of ore when a total of 454,232 tons was crushed, and had its own daily capacity of 1,243 tons per a day. As this procedure commenced the company had processed a total of 96,902 tons (25%) at the on-site sorting plant, and another 52,533 tons (54%) was discarded as waste. This massive tonnage of waste would also accumulate a small percentage of ore that was hoisted as it was only known for consisting of 11.6%. Nevertheless, the sorting procedure was also known to have increased the milling production of all processed ore that was known for totalling 11.4% , as it proved to be satisfactory towards this operation. By this time the company had additionally increased its milling production when the mill was now treating a total of 1,100 tons of ore per a day of operating. Even the recovery of the ore was known to have produce 94.3% of production from its previous years of operating as it average anywhere from 91 to 93% from 1958, to 1959. As the mine became further transformed , the company would additionally hire a total of 556 men to its large scale producing mining operation.
In 1961, another huge transformation had taken place when the Bicroft Uranium Mines Limited had merge with the Macassa Mines Limited, to incorporate the Macassa Gold Mines Limited. Almost all mining operation would continue to take place on the historical Central Lake Property within this time period. As the new corporation commenced further expansion phase, it would soon sink the No. 2 shaft to another 409 feet when it was reaching a depth of 1,843 feet. More so the Macassa Gold Mine Limited had other plans when two new levels became stationed and cut on the mines 1,449, and 1,649 foot sections. By this time the company and its team of miners soon had further expanded this operation when new engineering phases became drawn. Much of this construction would take place when 8,958 feet of drifting, 6,678 feet of crosscutting, and 14,654 feet of raising was completed.. Soon enough the Macassa Gold Mines Limited was known to have constructed a total development footage of 65,602 feet of drifting, 52,804 feet of crosscutting, and 65,311 feet of raising that was done. Milling within In this time period was also treating a lot of ore when a total of 336,618 tons of ore was processed. Even more extractions from the stopes continued to take place when a huge amount of ore was hoist from the mine workings. Generally this massive tonnage had totalled its own weight of 388,096 tons of uranium grade material. that had its own recovery grade of 94.3% uranium at the time. Company officials from the Macassa Gold Mines Ltd. soon had been known to have extracted all the uranium grade material from the fourth mine level at 450 feet. Once this had happened the company would slowly start to recover when it was extracting the remainder of the ore on the seventh level, and development procedures became further expanded when it was push towards the seven, eighth, ninth, tenth, twelfth, and , thirteenth foot levels. More so this development would continue when the shaft was fully sunken to its ending point at 1,846 feet below the shaft collar. Nevertheless, the company and its workforce soon had also drawn 327,497 tons of ore from the mine, and would have also broken down a total of 300,075 tons. Further so the company would additionally have estimated this mine to contain a total of 31,863 tons of brown down ore reserves within its operation. This massive mining project started to expand this operation even more when a totalled 271 stope became work on. In addition the company and its team of hardworking miners would complete a total 165 stopes by the years ending, and had started up new ground that totalled 135 stope within the workings.
More milling and crushing procedures would continue to take place in 1961, when a total of 336,618 tons was crushed, and another 98,287 tons was sorted, and the company would also hoist 52,142 tons from the mine. As this had taken place the company also estimated that a total of 15.5% of ore was discarded as waste. The new sorting procedure soon started to also increase the milling capacity by 11%, as the mill was treating an average total of 923 tons of ore per a day. As the year slowly came to an end, the Macassa Gold Mines Limited had not proceeded within any more development or production within this time period of operating the mine.
Soon enough the company it self would decide to construct more engineering phase that totalled 10,909 feet of drifting, 9,583 feet of crosscutting, and another 17,752 feet of raising in 1962. More so the company would rather expanding its operation with this development procedure when it had now totalled 76,511 feet of drifting, 62,391 feet of crosscutng, and 83,063 feet of raising in all development footage. Even explorations became further conducted underground when the miners had driven 507 diamond drill holes that totalled 71,481 feet of core sample
As 1962 had started to roll in, the Macassa Gold Mines Limited had other ideas when it would further extract the rick uranium ore. Almost all hoisting procedure soon had started to expand this project when the company and its team had hoisted a total of 404,536 tons of ore with a minimum of 1,108 tons per a day. Nevertheless, the Macassa Gold Mines Limited would move onto more processing stages when a total of 355,914 tons was milled. In addition to this the company had also sorted out all the valuable uranium content, while discarding a total of 48,686 tons as waste. By the years ending milling within the Bicroft Uranium Mine was also averaging a daily production rate of 975 tons of ore that produce 94.3% of all production. Another huge amount of money was also made off the processed and treated uranium oxide when the company obtain $4,682,178 of uranium oxide.
Mainly all mining operations within the Central Lake Shaft were rather expanding the mining zone by 1962. During this time period the company was thriving with deeper development phase from the ninth to the thirteenth levels. Most of this development and production was coming from the eleventh, twelfth, and thirteenth levels. Almost all the stoping within this shaft was also known to have been 32 feet high, and had its own average of 5.5 feet. As the Bicroft Uranium Mine slowly started to become exhausted it became reported that a total of 71,848 tons of discarded waste from the sorting plant was used as backfill. Nevertheless, the company would also indicated a report on the ore structure that was known to continue with no changes on the bottom level of this mining operation. It was proven to have been very satisfactory as the mine still was believed to have a large amount of ore within it. But the company did not have the right amount of funds to further engineer this project as it was working other gold mines in Kirkland Lake. Even production became rapidly expanded when the crushing plant had crushed a total of 404,536 tons of uranium ore. By this time the company also sorted a total of 87,321 tons of ore at the sorting plant, and would also discarded 48,686 tons as waste. Milling within 1962 was also operating on an average of 975 tons of ore on a daily basis. As milling continued it soon became evident that the company had produce a high-end recovery of 94.3% uranium oxide. No other daily development and production procedures had commence when the mine was starting to close down with a lay off of 490 men.
All mining operations would cease on may, 31 1963, when the Macassa Gold Mines Limited had folded from this project. The main adit zone was fully constructed as it was driven by a long drift section that traveled along a small ore-body for a distance of 1,784 feet. As this became expanded the company would also construct a wide range of crosscutting that totalled 383 feet. More so further engineering was also accomplished on the first level when a huge drift was driven for a distance of 9,261 feet. It would also establish a large amount of crosscutting that ended up totaling 5,583 feet. A huge amount of raising was also done on this level when it had totalled 2,323 feet. Almost all development on the second level was opened up by a massive drift that was believe to have traveled for a distance of 7,041 feet. Once this became opened it would be followed by a whack of crosscutting that totalled 5,533 feet, and another huge amount of raising was done that was estimated at 6,114 feet. Within 1963 the company estimated that the third mining level was opened up by a total of 6,859 feet of drifting, 6,153 feet crosscutting, and 7,468 feet of raising. Another level that was constructed on the mines 450 foot section had a total of 6,204 feet of drifting, 5,541 feet of crosscutting, and 5,210 feet of raising. The Macassa Gold Mines Limited also confined them selves on the mines fifth level when 63 feet of drifting was done. By this time the whole entire level had consisted of 6,432 feet of drifting, 5,624 feet of crosscutting, and 7,926 feet of raising. Development and production on the fifth level was also phenomenal when 87 feet of drifting was completed, that made this level open up by 6,437 feet of drifting, 4,291 feet of crosscutting, and 8,639 feet of raising that was done. No development continued on the seventh level when it was opened up by 6,435 feet of drifting, 1,150 feet of crosscutting, and 7,957 feet of raising. Further so the company had ended its engineering phase on the eighth level when it was opened up by 5,240 feet of drifting, 5,024 feet of crosscutting, and 7,402 feet of raising. In addition another level known as the ninth level was also being confined to more development when 558 feet of drifting was done. Soon enough this whole entire level was now comprising of 6,064 feet of drifting, 4,675 feet of crosscutting, and 6,528 feet of raising procedures. When the mine started to become further sunken down it soon became open up by the tenth level. Production and development on this level was soon expanded rapidly when it included 5,446 feet of drifting,3,870 feet of crosscutting, and 7,384 feet of raising. On the mines eleventh level, it soon became estimated that a total 4,195 feet of drifting, 4,127 feet of crosscutting, and 9,198 feet of raising was done. Even far more development soon continued to take place when the twelfth level was opened up by 3,573 feet of drifting, 3,465 feet of crosscutting, and 6,265 feet of raising. On the last level the company had estimated a total development footage of 3,698 feet of drifting, 3,486 feet of crosscutting, and 5,228 feet of raising that was done.
1955- BiCroft Uranium Mines, Ltd.
It was within 1955, when the BiCroft Uranium Mines, Ltd. Was formed under an amalgamation of Center Lake Uranium Mines, Ltd, and Croft Uranium Mines, Ltd. This had rather establish the company very well when its total capitalization was at $4,000,000 shares at $1 par value. In addition to this, it had also reorganized the company completely when R A. Bryce was president, S. A. Perry as Vice President, G. D. Pattison as Secretarty Treasurer, H. W. Salthouse as Assistant Secretary Treasurer, and J. H. Crang, D. R. Michener, E. D. Scott, and Lamour Soliague as Directors. For the most part this companies office was once reported to have resided at 25, Adelaide Street West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
As this Amalgamation had occurred it would end up combining the Croft Properties which were situated in Cardiff, Faraday, and Herschel Townships, Hasting County. One of the main properties which was operated extensively was known as the Center Lake Property in Cardiff Township. Most of the work during 1955 was mainly confined to the Center Lake Property as no work was being done on the Croft Properties.
Prior to this a vertical three compartment shaft was additionally sunk in 1954, on claim E.O 5936. For the most part, this claim was also situated on the north half of Lot 27, Concession XI, of Cardiff Township, Hasting County. Some more sinking had also taken place when the No. 1 Shaft was sunk to a depth of 234 feet below the surface. Another Shaft known as the No. 2 was also being developed at this time, which was a vertical, three compartment shaft that had only reach a depth of 80 feet below the surface. The No. 2 Shaft was additionally located on the South Half of Lot 28, Concession XI, of Cardiff Township. With sinking in progress, it was also reported that level became cut on the mines 70 foot section at the time. Diamond drilling that was done had amounted to 25 holes, totaling 18,296 feet from the surface, and 34 holes totalling 2,654 feet from underground. With development taking place the company's workforce of 24 men had hoisted a total of 4,588 tonnes ore that was stockpiled.
1,950 feet of drifting
1,521 feet of crosscutting
--------- feet of raising
200 - foot
2,304 feet of drifting
1,085 feet of crosscutting
185 feet of raising
Construction that had taken place was aimed at completing a timber head-frame, hoist room, and Generator Shed, Dry House, Crusher House, Office, and Staff House. Equipment that became installed that year had consisted of a 36-inch lagged to 42 inches double drum Stephens Adamson Hoist, two 100 Kilowatt and, One 60 Kilowatt Perbow Diesel Generator, and a 500 cubic feet per minute compressor. Development work during this time period of developing this project was done under contract basis.
1956 – BiCroft Uranium Mine
Mining operations in 1956, were strictly confined to the Center Lake Uranium Property during that time period of operating. Development during that time period was aimed at continuing the sinking phase of the No. 2 Shaft that had reach a depth of 626 feet. Prior to this the company had also establish new levels on the mines 200, 325, 450, and 575 foot sections. Three of these newly developed levels were also located above the loading pocket that provided routine development and mining of the uranium pegmatite ore. Predictions at the time were also aiming to sink the No. 2 Shaft to a depth of 950 feet, and to have seven level available for mining 1956. Most of this development planning had came to halt because the major equipment would not be delivered till November of that year. Production during that year was also mainly taken from the 200 foot level of the No. 1 Shaft that was situated 1,850 feet northwest of the No.2 Shaft. With development taking place the company had also stated that the nature of this ore was rather so large that several stopes were required. Most of this was not only done for tonnage but also to complete grade controls on certain sections of this mining operation. By the end of 1956, there were a total of 40 stope sections which were being prepared and had combined length of 3,600 feet. Methods of mining which were used during this time had mainly applied the shrinkage methods towards this uranium project.
Ore Reserves - 42,120,000 tonnes
At the beginning of 1956, it was stated that a total of 42,120,00 tonnes of ore had lied within a 15,000 foot zone. Much of the geology within this mining project had consisted of a granite gneiss that was occupied by pegmatite dikes. This zone was rather located between the No. 2 Shaft and had extended towards the Croft Section. Underground development which had taken place was known to have a contributed a combined length of 3,000 to the North of the No. 2 Shaft Operation. Ore reserve calculations at this time were not fully blocked out by underground development. A total of 49 ore lenses were had rather been drifted on within the years end, and had taken place on the first level with a combined length of 4,143 feet. These lenses had also rather averaged 5.9 feet which indicated a tonnage of 2,808 tonnes per a vertical foot. The average grade that was produce had also been calculated a5 $20.40 per ton of uranium ore. Each of these individual lenses and lengths are also known for varying in size between 20 to 215 feet. Geologically it was also stated that the ore-body was so persistent that the ore zone should continue at depth. Diamond drilling that was done had also indicated that the ore body continued to a depth of 1,000 feet, and even the smaller lenses were comparable with the grade on the first level. A total calculation of broken ore reserves by the end of 1956, had amounted to 101,689 tonnes. Most of this tonnage was made up of 70,084 tonnes in surface dumps, and 31,605 tonnes of underground ore. None of this tonnage had also indicated the proven ore reserves within the Croft Section of the BiCroft Uranium Mine Project. With these discoveries made it was also reported that a new township called Cardiff was laid out by the provincial government. Company officials during this time period had also planned to construct 150 houses units for rental purposes to its employees. Construction was also followed by the building of a 5 room school, and five additional houses were built at the Staff Town-site. Development was also followed by the completion of a new three-mile branch highway that was completed from high-way 28 to the mine site. A total of 284 miners had also been employed during this time period which resulted 154 on surface, and 130 underground. Diamond drilling that was done had consisted of 433 holes, totalling 50,645 feet in length from Underground.
Level (Lateral Development)
1,784 feet of drifting
583 feet of crosscutting
---------------- of raising
Shaft 1 –200-foot level
8,889 feet of drifting
5,421 feet of crosscutting
1,823 feet of raising
Shaft 2 –70-foot station
421 feet of drifting
2,000 feet of crosscutting
475 feet of raising
297 feet of drifting
1,836 feet of crosscutting
654 feet of raising
------------- of drifting
587 feet of crosscutting
20 feet of raising
---------------------- of drifting
32 feet of crosscutting
--------------------- of raising
Major construction within 1956, was also aimed at constructing a 1,000 ton milling facility, that was completed in 1956. In addition to this, the BiCroft was the first uranium mine to have went into production in Southern Ontario, Canada Milling was first started when the 500 ton unit was place into commission on October, 29, 1956, and the Second 500 ton unit commence operation on November, 1956. Milling which was done during that time period had also operated for the rest of that year at a daily rate of 838 tonnes of ore. The very first shipment of concentrate that came from the Bi-Croft Mine was made on December, 31, 1956. This had mark the starting point of several uranium mining operations in Hasting County, Ontario, Canada.
Mill duting 1956, had amounted to a total of 37,167 tonnes of ore that was produce. Some more difficulties had also become encountered with the counter current decantation circuit, soulution filtering, and depositing out of lime in tailings. As these issues were being solved it was also determined that they would be fix by 1957, which would increase milling to 1,075 tonnes of ore daily. Production from the on-site mill had also produce a bullion recovery of $465,667.05.
1957- BiCroft Uranium Mine
[/color][color=rgb(253, 0, 0)]The No. 2 Shaft at the BiCroft Uranium Mine had went under further sinking stages when it was sunk to a depth of 1,314 feet. Further sinking of the No. 2 Shaft would also cut and station new levels on the mines 700, 825, 950, 1,075, and 1,200 foot levels. There was also a skip loading pocket that ended up being cut below the 950 foot level. Prior to this it had also resulted in a shaft sinking loading pocket which was cut below the 1,075 foot level, and a spill pocket was also establish at the 1,200 foot level. In addition to this, shaft sinking was first started in Febuary, and was fully complete to the planned depth in September, 1957. Most of the contract work at the time was also completely taken over by the company which resulted in level stationing, completion of loading pockets, pumping, and electrical facilities, and the driving of the ore and waste pass system. With the mine continuing to expand it was strongly reported that the ore and waste pass system were near completion with the exception of the fifth level station and the passes between the 5th and 3rd levels. Even further development had escalated when a the haulageways were underway on the 6th, 7th, and 8th levels at the end of 1957. Drifting was also continued on the 4th level where the haulageways were being driven during shaft sinking phases.
Development of the BiCroft Uranium Mine was continued at a rather maximum rate in order to get this mine in full production, and to complete grade control. Upon further developing this project it was stated that far more lateral development, and raising was needed in order to open up ore lenses for maintaining a production level of stopes at 1,200 tonnes per day. Drilling that was done to the east of the main zone had shortly after indicated a new zone that became known as the ‘East Zone'. The East Zone was rather situated at a distance of 600 feet east of the main ore-zone. At the time, it was also stated that this area was being developed by the 2nd and 3rd levels. Some more was strongly developed from this section, but overall the structure was rather irregular and had resulted in mining problems. Drilling which was done south of the main ore body had intersect good ore grades within the pegmatite dikes that was in a favorable geological structure area. At the time, no other work was done on this section as preperations were being aimed to explore this area from underground.
Stoping within that year had also been maintained and provide satisfactory grade controlled as shown to production that was achieved. Development of the stope sections had also increase geological control, improving mining practices, and a good understanding of the nature of these ore-bodies. About 82% of all production was taken from the stope sections, while 12.5% was taken from development, and 5.5% from Surface Stockpile. Ore that was broken down that year had totaled 361,978 tonnes that was taken from stopes on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd levels. Broken Ore Reserves had also increased by the end of 1957, and had now totaled 46,000 tones. A total of 129 stopes became developed from the BiCroft Uranium Property. Mining which was undertaken had only been completed in 61 stopes, and 36 had been cleaned down and drawn empty. Stopes within the BiCroft Uranium Mine are known to vary in lengths between 25 to 200 feet, and have averaging widths of 6ft, with dips averaging 45 degrees. Broken ore-reserves from underground had amounted to 77,605 tons, and the surface stockpile contained 47,580 tons. Due to the nature of the ore-body it was rather stated that no tonnage estimates of positive, probable, and possible ore reserves became made. The tonnage which was produce from the first three levels to date had indicated 1,600 tonnes per vertical foot, and increase to the south of the workings. Prior to this the vertical continuity was also rather excellent, and the smaller lenses had extended to at least 600 feet down dip. A large tonnage of ore reserves was also indicated above the 1,200 foot level which would meet the companies contract requirements for uranium concentrates. Diamond drilling that was done from the surface had amounted to 36 holes, totalling 11,623 feet, and 492 underground holes, totalling a length of 87,365 feet were completed. Hoisting during that year was also largely increased when the company had extracted 410,624 tonnes.
Milling which was done had totaled 414,024 tonnes that was produce at a daily rate of 1,134 tons. From all of this production the company was able to make a net profit of $7,156,693.04. Head grading during this time period was estimated at $18.92 per ton of ore produce, and the mill production recovery was set at 91%. Some more upgrades had also taken place to the mill which resulted in various mechanical and circuit altercations. Other changes were made to the grinding circuit when it was upped from 1,000 tonnes to 1,238 tonnes of ore. This had also resulted in further installations when two leaching Pachuca Tanks were installed in the neutralizing building, and an oil heater was installed in the main surface fan house.
Cardiff was rather now a booming town when the construction of 150 bungalows was completed In 1957. At one point in time it was stated that Cardiff had served as a staff settlement town for the BiCroft and Canadian Dyno Mine employees. Company officials from both mining projects had taken control of finishing the construction of sewage, and water services at this townsite. This had also followed suit with the completion of an eight-room class room with a filled compacity, which might require more rooms. Employment at the time was under the direction of J. M. Thompson who employed 616 men towards this production.
1958 - BiCroft Uranium Mines, Ltd.
Mining operations at the Central Lake Property had continued onward as development was focus on the No. 2 Main Shaft. Lateral development in which was completed during 1958, had amounted to 12,872 feet of drifting, 7,748 feet of crosscutting, and 8,732 feet of raising. Diamond drilling during that year had amounted to 548 holes, totalling 101,087 feet from underground. One of the existing holes from the surface was also deepened a further 248 feet. Several improvements were rather reported to have been made during the first half of the year In 1958. Operating profit which was achieved during the first six months had a close estimation to that achieved In 1957 production levels. Some more down falls had occurred when the company was advised by the government authorities, that effective July, 1, and for a period of at least one year, deliveries of U308 would only be excepted in a monthly rate specified in its contracts. From all of this change it had also involved in a reduction of over 20% in shipment rate, and revenues. Most of this rather had started stockpiling the uranium concentrates in order to accumulate sales outside of the contract agreement. Operations at the historical BiCroft Uranium Mine were significantly cut back, and a stock pile was accumulated
Development at the BiCroft Uranium Mine Property was also done at a rapid rate for the first half of the year before being gradually cut back in 1958. Cut backs that were made had now gradually been operated at about 75% in the second half of 1958. The ore-bodies within this mine were rather considered to have provide large amount of lateral development in relation to the tonnage mined. Ore passes along with other development work that were started in 1957, had been completed by 1958. Mining operations during that time period of operating were also mainly confined to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels. Development during 1958, was also confined to extending the 4th, 5th, 6th , and 7th levels. Some work was also confined to the 8th level which resulted in driving the haulageway. No other work was also stated to have taken place on the 9th and 10th levels as they were being used in preparation for shaft sinking.
Total to Date
Ore and Waste Pass Raising
Drifting that was done during that year had resulted in additional ore lengths totalling 6,373 feet. This rather divided into individual ore lengths that vary from 20 to 300 feet, and had widths of 3 to 6 feet. Even more progress was made in relation to grade control when the grade had increased during processing phases. A total of 429,917 tonnes of ore was broken during that year, and broken ore reserves within the stopes had ended up totalling 89,874 tonnes. Prior to this the company had a total of 174 active stope in operation, and 84 new stopes were started. This had rather resulted in a total of 213 stope sections, and the surface stock pile had a reserve of 26,500 tonnes at an estimated grade of $13.02 per to. It was rather difficult for the company to full estimate the ore- reserves due to the nature of the ore-body within this property. A total of 3,500 feet of lateral development was also aimed at exploring the south ore-body that indicated high-grade uranium content. In addition to this, the company was able to evaluate to potential tonnage of the south zone at 1,800 tons per a vertical foot. Some more interesting statements had revealed that the tonnage should increase during development of the levels to the north and south. A total of 60 lenses were so far outlined from all development, and explorations that took place. Ore reserves were also maintained above the 1,200-foot level which would meet the required sale of uranium concentrate under contract agreements. By the years end it was largely reported that a total of 556 miners were employed whom 82 were salaried, and 474 were hourly rated. This was rather a down fall from the previous 619 employees as the mine project had underwent curtailment. More so this had established the District of Bicroft in which the township had resided in. The main public school that was built had also went under further expansions when it was made into 12 class rooms.
Structural development during this time period of operating was aimed at building a sorting plant. This had also included the much-needed installations when two K & H Electronic Sorting Units, with a capacity of 25 tons per hour, each with necessary washing screens, conveyor belts, weight meters, and surge bins. A third compressor that was a Canadian Ingersoll Rand had also become installed in the hoist compressor building, along with two other similar units. Prior to all of this the company had place further planning when a Thorium Pilot Plant was installed. It main attention was to recover thorium from the barren solution by using the solvent extraction process. This had rather resulted in several commercial thorium compounds that became produce from the pilot plant.
1959 – BiCroft Uranium Mine
In 1959, the company had continued to operate its stope sections by using the shrinkage method. This had also resulted in filling the old stope sections with discarded rock, and development waste. Some more new methods had also taken place when cleaning down the stope was successfully developed, and had decrease operating cost, and improved the efficiency of this mining operation. Extractions from the stopes had given away to 389,496 tonnes of broken ore, and had resulted in 75,382 tonnes by the years end. For the most part it was also stated that the stope sections had supplied 85.1% of all the mill feed, while the balance was taken from development, and the stockpile. Production during 1959, had came from 163 stopes, while the mine had 300 stopes in total. A total of 255 stopes were also reportedly known to have been officially completed and back filled, and seven new stopes were started. Most of the stoping lengths within the BiCroft Uranium Mine had measured between 20 to 300 feet in length, and had average 68 feet. Further so the stoping widths during this time period of operating had measured between 3 to 10 feet in width, with an average of 6 feet. Due to the limitations on contract deliveries the company had made major setbacks by decreasing its milling rate to 1,162 tonnes from 1,255 tons per day. Although production was largely known to have been maintained by better grades, and produce a net value of $8,288,699.54. For the most part, this net value was rather known to have doubled the value of production within the second half of 1958. Much of the pace of this production had enabled the company to produce a modest excess over contract requirements. From all production that year it was reported that this company was able to make an allowable shipment of 95,000 pounds of U3O8 under contract. Stockpile ore at the time was mainly being maintained in order to make sales outside of the contract, or for the final shipments to fill the existing contracts.
Development which was done had ended up totalling 9,617 feet of drifting, 5,878 feet of crosscutting, and 11,179 feet of raising. This had rather resulted in a total development footage of 44,211 feet of drifting, 37,251 feet of crosscutting, and 33,055 feet of raising. Diamond drilling which was undertaken had consisted o 461 holes from underground, totalling 76,065 feet, and 5 holes from surface, totalling 1,254 feet. Even some more new equipment was added when the company had installed an electronic sorting unit, and a salt lixator that was 12 by 27 feet. Some more new ore lengths that ended up totalling 5,699 feet were also developed within 1959. More than 44% of all drifting that was done in 1959, had mainly been confined to opening up the ore-body. Development which was necessary to complete had also maintained a high tonnage of ore that was mined, and the footage of ore being developed. Difficulties still had continued during this time period in estimating the ore reserves due to the nature of this ore-body. However, this did increase the potential of new ore bodies that were being mined for a strike length of 3,500 feet, and had totaled 1,850 ton per vertical foot. Some estimations however were made as the company was able to calculate the possible, and probable ore reserves at 698,000 tons, grading two pounds of U308 per ton. Ore reserves to date were classified as sufficient to fill the remainder of the contract between the Ontario government. Development to date has also proven the ore bodies remain unchanged within the lower levels, and the zone is known to continue at depth.
Milling within this time period had resulted in 424,373 tonnes of ore which was done in 1959. All the ore which was hoisted during that time period had amounted to 1,291 tonnes of ore o a daily basis. In addition to this, the sorting plant was commonly known for processing 17.4% of this, and had discarded 57.2% as waste. There were also various improvements which were made In the screening arrangements, and operating controls within the second half of 1959. Milling which was done had also operated at an average rate of 1,162 tonnes of sorted ore on a daily basis.
1970 – BiCroft Uranium Mine
By 1970, the Bicroft Uranium Mines, Ltd was once again on the move when the No. 2 shaft was continued to a depth of 1,350 feet. Development during this time period of operating had rather consisted of 12,443 feet of drifting, 8,879 feet of crosscutting, and 17,602 feet of raising. The total development footage which was completed by the end of 1960, had amounted to 56,644 feet of drifting, 46,130 feet of crosscutting, and 50,657 feet of raising. Diamond drilling during this time period had also consisted of 535 holes from underground, totalling 80,662 feet in length. Hoisting which was completed during this time period of operating had also amounted to 454,232 tonnnes of ore. A total of 52,355 tonnes was also stated to have been discarded from the sorting plant as waste rock.
Production above the fourth level was also reported to have been partially completed, and exhausted. A small amount of production had also come from the 5th and 6th levels in which were supplying 25% of the ore hoisted. For the most part, development along with mining operations were mainly being confined to the seventh, eighth, and ninth levels that also supplied 25% of all ore hoisted. Some development work during this time period of operating was also reported to have commenced on the tenth level. From this development and production, it had also resulted in 362,191 tonnes of broken ore from the stope sections. From this amount, it was stated that 81.9% was hoisted, while the remaining 56,627 tons was categorized as broken ore reserves. Within 1960, the company and its workforce of 556 employees had work 213 stopes, in which 110 were completed, and 142 new stopes were started.
At the time, it was still rather hard for the company to disclose a total ore reserve estimation due to the nature of this ore-body. Ore reserves to date are mainly taken from development of the zone, and how much ore was extracted from this uranium project. It was rather stated the proven and probable reserves which included broken ore reserves was estimated at 559,000 tonnes above the 1,200-foot level. The grading of the ore still had stayed the same when the company was producing two pounds of U3O8 per ton of ore mined after dilutions. Prior to this the company had also stated that possible ore reserves could be increased by deepening the shaft in order to explore new areas for development.
The Crusher Plant had rather crush a total of 454,232 tonnes of ore that had represented a daily average of 1,243 tonnes. Prior to this the sorting plant had also process a total of 96,902 tonnes of ore that was taken from this feed. Waste during this time period had also amounted to 52,355 tonnes which was discarded from the sorting plant. Milling during this time period was also operated on a daily average of 1,110 tonnes of sorted ore per day. Production which was achieved within the milling facility had also process a total of 404,682 tonnes of ore. Some more improvements had also been made in which had decrease operating costs significantly. A total of 556 employees were employed, in which 361 had work underground, and 195 of these employees were place on the surface.
1961 – Macasa Gold Mines, Ltd
Another historical change was made when Macasa Mine, Limited had amalgamated with the historical BiCroft Uranium Mines, Ltd to form the Macasa Gold Mines, Ltd. This whole entire amalgamation was made in order to operate these mines under a joint venture agreement that was done in November 1961. Mining operations during 1961, were confined to the Central Lake Property that was firmly known as the BiCroft Uranium Mine Project. Even more changes were made when the No. 2 Shaft was undergoing further sinking as it had reach a depth of 1,843 feet below the surface. Even more levels were being further opened up when the company cut and stationed the 1,499, and 1,649 foot levels. Development which was completed during this time period had consisted of 8,958 feet of drifting, 6,678 feet of crosscutting, 14,654 feet of raising. All development that was completed had resulted in a total development footage of 65,602 feet of drifting, 52,808 feet of crosscutting, and 65,311 feet of crosscutting. As the year slowly came to an end it was also stated that all the known ore down to the sixth level had been extracted. Some more ore was also indicated on the 7th level, and development was ongoing on the 8th, 9th , 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th levels. Mining within 1960, had also continued to extend the workings when a total of 388,096 tonnes of ore was hoisted. Broken ore during this time period had resulted in 300,075 tonnes, which 327,597 was drawn in 1961. Mining within 1961 was also being achieved on 271 stope sections, which 165 were completed, and 135 were started.
Operations at the crusher plant had also continued to operate at large scale when 336,618 tonnes was crush at an average rate of 966 tonnes. From this feed, it was strongly stated that a total of 98,287 tonnes of crushed ore was process in the sorting plant, in which 52,142 tonnes was discarded as waste. Milling during this time period of operating was also processing a large tonnage of ore that totaled 336,619 tonnes of ore. During this time period, it was still stated that the company had difficulties in providing accurate reserve indication due to the nature of this ore-body. Development that was done had also indicated that the same structure continues on the new levels, and it known to continue at depth. Broken Ore Reserves during this time period had also resulted in 31,863 tonnes of broken ore. Employment within this time period had totaled 488 employees, which 301 were hired underground, and 187 became hired on the surface. Some more down falls would occur when the main mine manager known as J. M. Thompson had suddenly pass away, and J. D. Bryce, who was the executive vice president became in charge.
1962- Macasa Gold Mines, Ltd.
No additional sinking was done within 1962, as the mine continued to further become expanded. Development which was completed within this time period had consisted of 10,909 feet of drifting, 9,583 feet of crosscutting, and 17,752 feet of raising. Diamond drilling which was done had also amounted to 507 holes, totalling 71,489 feet from underground. All mining operations at the Center Lake Property were confined to the block of levels from the 9th to the 13th levels. Most of this development was reported to have also been completed on the 11th, 12th, and 13th levels of the No. 2 Shaft. Other statements had stated that the total average length in stoping had amounted to 32 feet with an average width of 5.5 feet. Even a huge amount of waste from the sorting plant and development had contributed in using 71,848 tonnes as back fill for the stope sections. No additional changes were reported to have taken place within the structure, and the ore had proven to persist on the bottom level to continue further sinking operations. At the time, the company itself was rather preparing to close down this project as the last level would not be fully developed before this closure occurs. Sufficient ore was also reported to have been within the bottom levels, and further below this point it was stated to have continued onward. Hoisting that was done within 1962, had resulted in a total of 404,536 tonnes of ore.
The Crushing plant within 1962, had continued to operate as a total of 404,536 tonnes became crushed. Processing had also continued when a total of 87,327 tonnes was sorted in the plant, and 48,686 tonnes was discarded as waste. Milling during this time of operating had treated a total of 355,914 tonnes of ore from the Center Lake Property (BiCroft Uranium Mine). Some more difficulties had started to rise when the company could no longer replace specific reagents that were used in the process as the manufactures had no longer made them.
1963 - BiCroft Uranium Mines, Ltd.
The Bicroft Uranium Mine was rather closing down when the mine operated from January, 1st to May, 20th, 1963. Prior to this the on-site milling facility had continued to operate from January, 1st to May, 31st, 1963. Total development footage that was completed in 1963, had amounted to 2,881.0 feet of drifting, 717.5 feet of crosscutting, and 4,582.3 feet of raising. As development continued to operate till May, 20th, 1961, it was also stated that a total of 133,137 tonnes of ore was hoisted from the underground workings. Milling operations would end up treating a total of 117,852 tonnes (U3O8) of uranium ore.
1,784 feet Drifting
383.0 feet Crosscutting
9,261.8 feet of Drifting
5,583.2 feet of Crosscuttig
2,323.3 feet of Raising
7,041.0 feet of Drifting
5,533.5 feet of Crosscutting
6,114.5 feer of Raising
6,859.5 feet of Drifting
6,153.5 feet of Crosscutting
7,468.5 feet of Raising
6,204.0 feet of Drifting
5,541.0 feet of Crosscutting
5,210.5 feet of Raising
6,432.0 feet of Drifting
5,624.0 feet of Crosscutting
7,926.0 feet of Raising
6,437.0 feet of drifting
4,291.5 feet of crosscutting
8,539.0 feet of raising
6,445.0 feet of drifting
5,150.0 feet of crosscutting
7,957.5 feet of raising
5,240.o feet of drifting
5.025.0 feet of crosscutting
7,402.0 feet of raising
6,064.0 feet of drifting
4,675.0 feet of crosscutting
6,528.0 feet of raising
5,446.5 feet of drifting
3,870.5 feet of crosscutting
7.384.0 feet of raising
4,915.5 feet of drifting
4.127.0 feet of crosscutting
9,198.0 feet of raising
3,573.5 feet pf drifting
3,465.0 fee of crosscuttingt
6,265.5 feet of raising
3,698.0 feet of drifting
3,486.0 feet of crosscutting
5.228.0 feet of raising[/color]