In 1889, the Bay of Quinte Railway built this bridge across the Napanee River at Yarker to carry a branch of their Napanee-Tamworth-Tweed line to connect with the Kingston and Pembroke Railway at Harrowsmith.
The Canadian Northern Railway took control of the Bay of Quinte in the first decade of the 20th century and built a second bridge across the Napanee River in 1913, using it to carry their Ottawa-Toronto mainline through Yarker. The 1889 bridge remained in use to carry what was now a branchline reaching north beyond Tweed to Bannockburn.
After the Canadian Northern was absorbed into the Canadian National Railways in 1919, the line to Tweed saw diminishing traffic. The Tweed branch and the original 1889 bridge were abandoned and the steel deck removed in 1941. The limestone masonry bridge abutments and pier remain in 2011, easily seen from the surviving 1913 railway bridge (now part of the Cataraqui Trail).
(Source: Wilson, Donald M. Lost Horizons: the story of the Rathbun Company and the Bay of Quinte Railway. Belleville: Mika, 1983.)