The Nipissing Colonization Rd. started at the Parry Sound Colonization Rd. and headed north. At this junction sprang the village of Ashdown, 1 mile west of Rosseau. By 1880 there was a school, a church, Orange Hall, a store, a hotel run by the Ashdowns, a blacksmith, a wagon maker, a sawmill and a door factory. 2 railways came in well east and well north causing Ashdown to go bust. Rosseau became the hub of the area when its post office and location outdid Ashdown's.
Only a cemetery, a house, which may have been the school, and a derelict wood cabin remain. The old church was removed years ago to nearby Hekkla..
To see the old map of all the colonization roads check the photo below.