Even wealthy Ontario judges can face government expropriation.
In 1895-96, the prominent timber baron J.R. Booth purchased this point and built a large estate here called Men-Way-Tay ("Place of Sunshine"). Booth gave the property to his daughter, Gertrude Fleck, and through marriage it was eventually passed down to Justice George Barclay. This estate met the Ontario government land reclamation axe of the 1950s, when over 50% of the leased properties in Algonquin were removed. Barclay vacated the site in 1953.
DIRECTIONS: Turn off highway 60 at Rock Lake road (45.580, -78.399) and drive 9 km south to a parking lot along the north shore (45.518, -78.400). From here, it is a 20-minute walk down the old railway bed along the waterline.
NOTE: There are 320 private cottages/buildings left in Algonquin Park, *all* facing final government expropriation in 2017. If the hammer falls (and the precedent was already set last year in Pinery Provincial Park), Algonquin will be a mecca of abandonment for explorers.