Documenting the forgotten memories of Ontario before they're gone forever.



Return to index of Hastings County
Craigmont (ghost town)
Located in: Hastings County
Location #890
Public
Location Owner: clay70
Creation Date: 10/4/2009
Last Updated: 8/1/2011

Contact user AdministratorFull MemberWebsiteGold Star

Description
This vanished ghost town/ mine was once the world's largest producer of corundum. This mineral was first found here in 1876. By 1900 the mine there began with a town built to house the miners. There were sections of the settlement- the west side was the mine and the east side was the town.

The town had a community hall that showed plays and fashion exhibits. It had boardwalks, a store, tailors, a barber, a photographer and a surgeon. They did not have a tavern, so the miners would travel to Combermere to get their fill of alcohol.

At its height, the mine produced 80% of Canada's corundum and the town had a population of 600. A fire hit the mine in 1913 and the crushing operation was moved to this sister mine at Burgess. The town went bust by 1921.

Take 517 south from Combermere. This drive is awesome in the fall with the mountain scapes and changing colours, mixed with the ghostly old buildings. Turn left at Craigmont Rd. and head left at the fork in the road. The mine was right on the left side by the mountain. Go back to the main road and head south. This was part of the old townsite. I have some cool photos below.


Abandoned houses may be dangerous! Read the LEGAL DISCLAIMER.


INFORMATION
Status: Unknown
Category:
Ghost Town

LINKS

OPTIONS
Make Favourite
Favourites
Who's Viewed
Who's been viewing
Login to upload photos
Edit Location
Add to Roadtrip
Road Trip
LOCATION/ADDRESS

Province: Ontario


GALLERIES
Historic Shots

Created on:8/1/2011
Created by: clay70
2 photos
Gallery

Created on:6/30/2010
Created by: clay70
6 photos


COMMENTS
There are no comments for this location.


ACTIVITY LOGS
No recent activity.


Please review our Legal Terms before using the site.
All code & content is (C) 2012 by OntarioAbandonedPlaces.com and respective authors.
Help/Contact