May Donation Drive Under Way - You could win a 40" Samsung Smart LCD Television - Details HERE
FacebookPinterestYoutube Instagram
Location #
Ontario Abandoned Places
An online trust-based community for photographers and explorers.
Donation Drive Starts Now - Ontario Abandoned Places
Ontario Abandoned Places Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donation Drive Starts Now

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donation Drive Starts Now
    Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 3:02am
First of all, why do we have a donation drive?

Unlike your Wordpress or Wix website which is free, we're hosted on a website that has certain expenses. These expenses include DDOS protection, a commercially sold upload script, and monthy storage costs. Each year we run a donation drive to ask for funds to help host the site.

1) The website isn't free to host.
2) The website isn't self-serving, that is, it benefits an entire community not just myself. This is where we differ from many other explorer sites.
3) For the past three years donations have been down each year, requiring that I cover costs out of pocket.

Donations don't go toward gas or exploring. Money not spent out of pocket for website costs, goes into the gas tank.

So this is what we're going to do.

The giveaway contest is open to all residents of Canada and USA who are 13 years or older. This year's prize is an internet ready Samsung LCD television 50 inch.

1) The Samsung Smart LCD TV will be exclusively for donations received. There is no minimum amount, even $1.00 will count. Again - we're not a free service and for the last three years I've spent more on operational costs than received in donations. This doesn't include the cost of some prizes which were not donated (ie. gift cards). Some people have asked if they could donate directly to the website company instead of to Paypal. Apparently some people think we're going to use the funds for a new Ferrari or something.

There's no current way to do this, but if you're insistent then we can arrange for you to access our billing console if you'd like to pay the company direct.

I've been hesitant to offer prize for donations because I've always felt that people should help out due to the cause, not the reward. We do utilize website ads for revenue but they don't cover hosting.

Donate:
http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com/_tools/donate.asp

The last three years we've fallen short of our goal, as fewer people choose to donate each year. And each year we move a step closer to running a private non-public website. In the end, you decide the future.

OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 3:59am
Donation benefits in effect.

OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:39am
Update - we're received 12 donations so far and are at about 70% of our goal. Thank you to those who've generously helped out.

Hosting OAP isn't free, using OAP daily however is free. Smile
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:36am
85% of the goal reached. Thank you to everyone who's donated so far. Approximately 20 people so far...

Restrictions will remain in effect until goal is 100%.
OAP View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote OAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:39pm
We're almost there. 95% reached.

Unfortunately I've had to put in place a restriction for those who've not donated, a gentle prod if you will... otherwise we'd never see a dime from our non-admin members.

A sign of the times sadly.... thanks to those who've helped us out so far!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic